Bugatti to Reveal All-New V16 Hypercar on June 20

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
Bugatti's Director of Design retires. The Chiron successor has been in the design process for the last two years. it will be revealed in 2024 and launch in 2026

Bugatti Director of Design, Achim Anscheidt has retired from his role, bringing an end to 19 years of his personal oversight of the stylistic evolution of the Bugatti brand. Anscheidt will remain a senior advisor to Bugatti Rimac CEO, Mate Rimac, as the brand prepares to unveil the new hybridized Chiron successor. Achim’s long-standing deputy, Frank Heyl, becomes the new Bugatti Director of Design.

Achim now passes the torch of Bugatti design to Frank Heyl, having overseen the meticulous development of the Chiron successor and further products. His vision for the future of Bugatti – developed with Mate Rimac – is in place until around 2030. So passionate is Achim, that only with complete confidence in having secured a bright future for the brand, is he able to step back from his role. The successor to the Chiron has been undergoing its design process for over two years already and will be revealed only in 2024 before its launch in 2026.

Downsizing...

...the letters in the engine type :sly:

Looks and sounds pretty epic, wonder what the car it's attached to, will be like.

Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

Has to be a significantly downsized engine from the W16 then, I don't think a 8.0L V16 could viably fit in a car. But it's cool to see Bugatti still going through the effort of making a brand new bonkers combustion engine in this day and age.

Has to be a significantly downsized engine from the W16 then, I don't think a 8.0L V16 could viably fit in a car. But it's cool to see Bugatti still going through the effort of making a brand new bonkers combustion engine in this day and age.
This is a good point. Hard for me to see the car it goes in remaining midship like the Veyron/Chiron. Even V12 midship cars are pushing the limit in terms of packaging and start to really compromise the cabin because to maintain a somewhat reasonable wheelbase, the driver has to be crunched up near the front wheels, often leading to problems like footwell intrusion by the front wheels. The center driving position (Mclaren F1) gets around this, but I doubt Bugatti would go for that. Maybe they are planning to cleverly package the gearbox so that the axle centerline is midway through the sump, something like BMWs Xdrive or the many others that do this now. Knowing Bugatti, it will very likely be AWD, so maybe they've flipped the drivetrain so the gearbox is in front of the engine with a transfer case taking the power back to the rear wheels. Or knowing Rimac, maybe the engine is just a generator? That would be a bit of a shame, but who knows.

Hmm... it looks about the same size as the Chiron.
...and the V16 is bigger than the W16.
Now I'm genuinely curious how they've packaged it. Hopefully the formal unveiling will reveal some details around that.
Beyond that, looks nice so far.

TIFO the Cizetta V16 was transverse mount.
With a longitudinal ZF 5DS-25/2, the same gearbox used in Panteras, Boras, and M1s. It was basically two V8s with two separate crankshafts in a common crankcase but it had two heads with a total of eight camshafts driven centrally. Fascinating things.

1530810758_cizeta-v16-engine-3.jpg

I should say I don't expect the Bugatti V16 to be transverse. I think its configuration will be most like a Lamborghini's with the gearbox ahead of the engine and a shaft running through the length of the engine case to the rear diff. The differential centerline may sit aft of the hub centerline, like a Mondial T, which would give it a few inches of leeway. While I'm certain the V16 is longer than the outgoing W16, I don't expect the difference to be huge given what VAG does with packaging of its V8s and V10s.

With a longitudinal ZF 5DS-25/2, the same gearbox used in Panteras, Boras, and M1s. It was basically two V8s with two separate crankshafts in a common crankcase but it had two heads with a total of eight camshafts driven centrally. Fascinating things.

1530810758_cizeta-v16-engine-3.jpg

I should say I don't expect the Bugatti V16 to be transverse. I think its configuration will be most like a Lamborghini's with the gearbox ahead of the engine and a shaft running through the length of the engine case to the rear diff. The differential centerline may sit aft of the hub centerline, like a Mondial T, which would give it a few inches of leeway. While I'm certain the V16 is longer than the outgoing W16, I don't expect the difference to be huge given what VAG does with packaging of its V8s and V10s.
The most contemporary example is the new Revuelto which has the exact same layout, engine, 3 motors, AWD. Lambo isn't putting the transmission in front of the engine anymore, it's behind now. Two motors at the front, one motor in the transmission, bettery pack between the seats. The only reason the Lambo transmission used to be forward was to help with mechanical AWD packaging but hybrids make that a thing of the past.

So we've got a long-ass V16 in the behind the driver, a transmission and motor right over top/behind the rear axle, a battery pack between the seats, and two motors and other electrical hardware at the front.

Also, is this V16 non-turbo? It sounds naturally aspirated.

The most contemporary example is the new Revuelto which has the exact same layout, engine, 3 motors, AWD. Lambo isn't putting the transmission in front of the engine anymore, it's behind now. Two motors at the front, one motor in the transmission, bettery pack between the seats. The only reason the Lambo transmission used to be forward was to help with mechanical AWD packaging but hybrids make that a thing of the past.

So we've got a long-ass V16 in the behind the driver, a transmission and motor right over top/behind the rear axle, a battery pack between the seats, and two motors and other electrical hardware at the front.

Also, is this V16 non-turbo? It sounds naturally aspirated.
Don't have a source, but allegedly its 8.3L, N/A, and makes 1,000hp.

Don't have a source, but allegedly its 8.3L, N/A, and makes 1,000hp.
Auto Motor und Sport reported this, which was also pretty much confirmed by the guy that leaked one of the photos.

• 8.3L 90° NA V16 developed together with Cosworth
  • short-stroke
  • 9000rpm
  • 1000PS
  • bank length: ~1m
  • engine + 8spd DCT length: ~2m
  • 3 electric permanent magnet synchronous motors with 250kW (340PS) each
  • 1 in the gearbox, 2 in the front
  • system power: 1800PS

So that motor is supposed to be twice the length of an Audi 4.2, a motor that is already very compact with tight cylinders (90mm-on-center bore spacing and 84.5mm bores) but which is undersquare, with a 93mm stroke. Granted the timing gear likely isn't doubled and you'll gain some additional real estate for the cylinder bank, but I'd be very interested to see the V16's bare block (including liners). It's got about four inches on a Jag V12.

Last edited:
  • 8.3L 90° NA V16 developed together with Cosworth
Even though Cosworth is a world-famous, extremely successful engineering company, Bugatti working with Cosworth takes the shine off this a little bit. It just does and I know I'll be in the wrong, in the minority about it.

This would see the McLaren's NA record finally beaten.

Last edited:
Even though Cosworth is a world-famous, extremely successful engineering company, Bugatti working with Cosworth takes the shine off this a little bit. It just does and I know I'll be in the wrong, in the minority about it.

This would see the McLaren's NA record finally beaten.
Outside of a few OEMs (Ferrari, Porsche, Honda?) who wouldn't build an engine for Bugatti anyways, I'm not sure who else you could turn to to build a halo engine like this. Maybe a company like Yamaha could do it, but I don't think they're any more shiny than Cosworth - probably less so. Also, the Veyron/Chiron engine wasn't really special - it was essentially a VAG parts bin special, which is to say I don't think VAG could or would build a completely bespoke engine in-house. Cosworth is probably the best non-OEM engine builder in the world.

So many watch makers partnering with manufacturers to produce these ungodly expensive skeleton-watches, I guess it was only a matter of time before the opposite was done for an ungodly expensive car's gauge cluster.
Not a fan of the new gauge cluster/instrument panel; it reminds me of a Pagani. Those Bugatti watches are a few hundred thousand which is absurd.

Back