Gran Turismo 4 Modding Discussion

They won't all be getting races since event IDs aren't infinite and having too many would make progression feel slow, but I'm definitely adding more where I think they make sense.
How many spare event ID's are there?

How many spare event ID's are there?
For clarity it’s not actually how many events the game can have, but rather for how many it can store the results in the save. If I remember right the number is 768 individual races (so Sunday Cup would be 3) - if you consider the size of GT4 as-is and how many manufacturers there are you can imagine it would probably run out pretty fast.

On top of the technical side though, there are some that I just don’t think are interesting enough or have enough variety to warrant their own. Dome is neat and all, but is a championship just for the Zero that interesting? And what prize would I even award for half of them :lol:

I like tying systems together and this latest one is a nice satisfying case of that.

Spec II will have a few events that are restricted by either engine types or displacements. That's all well and good if you're nerdy like us and know the ins and outs of each car, but what if you're a little more casual and need a nudge in the right direction? Well, now the garage can show and sort by these stats:
1716325463492.png

This also ties in quite nicely with the "quick garage" function I added to the event restrictions dialog - go to an event you can't enter, hop into your garage, quickly go "hmm, this complies, I'll use that" and you're done!
1716325546104.png

I always felt GT was quite nice at being sort of educational for those just starting to get into cars, so it feels really appropriate to continue that sort of spirit with my additions.

Not my own discovery, but one that I thought was worth including as it's an actual visual difference.

In Spec II you'll notice that there are two FPV GTs available, this is because the Japanese version of GT4 actually has the car without its decals. Personally I think it looks a lot better as some of the combinations were a bit weird, take the orange decals on the purple Vibe paint for instance:
Gran Turismo 4 [Online Public Beta] [SCUS_974.36-Hook]_SCUS-97436_20240527171309.png

Gran Turismo 4 [Online Public Beta] [SCUS_974.36-Hook]_SCUS-97436_20240527171312.png

This is all looking incredible.

What's the likelihood of a release this year?

Assuming LAN play with this mod is still possible?

We've got 4 PS2's and been playing together recently

Are you considering making some improvements for those who don't play on real hardware? I recently saw that it is possible to play rally events (both off-road and asphalt) against 5 opponents, use up to 6 convertible cars with the open roof simultaneously and play split-screen with high fidelity graphics (like single player).

This is all looking incredible.

What's the likelihood of a release this year?

Assuming LAN play with this mod is still possible?

We've got 4 PS2's and been playing together recently
I don't have any good way of testing LAN, but I haven't made any changes that should break it either. GT4 Online has it hidden in the menu so naturally I've re-enabled it.
Are you considering making some improvements for those who don't play on real hardware? I recently saw that it is possible to play rally events (both off-road and asphalt) against 5 opponents, use up to 6 convertible cars with the open roof simultaneously and play split-screen with high fidelity graphics (like single player).
I'm not, because issues that happen on real hardware also happen on emulators. A 6 car race might work in a few scenarios to make a video for, but there's no feasible way to test that they'll be stable throughout the entire game (different combos of cars/tracks etc could run out of memory and cause a crash). We just don't know how enough about how GT handles its memory to know if any of this would be stable. The best assumption to make is that if PD themselves didn't allow it, it was for a good reason.

Same logic goes for rally, but at the same time I just don't think GT's rally tracks would be fun to race with 6 cars either. Maybe something like Swiss Alps with 4 cars at a stretch, but even then you still have to consider memory usage.

So confused by some of these changes. The car is cut off in the dealer because it has been zoomed in so much, the thumbnails are now from a completely different game and so don't match the art direction of GT4, and none of the UI matches both itself or the rest of the game.

I get some of the logic of changing some of the things and certainly everything is subject to change when something is being developed, but considering this specifically has stuck around in all of the previews for this mod, I don't think this is a good design decision at all - you can't even see half the car!

1717072476038.png

Hey Admiester

I just wanna ask about some of the new tracks/track variants coming with Spec-II. I know that the tracks that don't have useable pitlanes are most likely only going to be used in Arcade mode, but would there be a way to implement them into GT mode even if it's just for time trial? Personally I really enjoy buying cars and then making race builds out of them to time trial with as well as tuning the cars to the way that I like them, being able to take some of my builds to these new tracks would give a huge amount of replayability

Edit: I just notice while I'm playing GT4 as I write this, that Suzuka West doesn't have a useable pitlane and that's in GT mode (I know that this is the case with the Rally Tarmac tracks too but I didn't want to count them), it doesn't appear in any races as a result, but it does still appear within the World Circuits list, I think the implementation of these tracks could fit really well unless there's some other technical reasons as to why it couldn't be that I'm unaware of.

Last edited:
Hey Admiester

I just wanna ask about some of the new tracks/track variants coming with Spec-II. I know that the tracks that don't have useable pitlanes are most likely only going to be used in Arcade mode, but would there be a way to implement them into GT mode even if it's just for time trial? Personally I really enjoy buying cars and then making race builds out of them to time trial with as well as tuning the cars to the way that I like them, being able to take some of my builds to these new tracks would give a huge amount of replayability

Edit: I just notice while I'm playing GT4 as I write this, that Suzuka West doesn't have a useable pitlane and that's in GT mode (I know that this is the case with the Rally Tarmac tracks too but I didn't want to count them), it doesn't appear in any races as a result, but it does still appear within the World Circuits list, I think the implementation of these tracks could fit really well unless there's some other technical reasons as to why it couldn't be that I'm unaware of.
Yeah, it’s not being used in any “proper” events but Valencia will be in both World Circuits and the Event Synthesizer rotation.

Redesigned the Spec II settings menu to use the nicer option list pickers:

1717458205376.png

Those bottom four options are new, too. The cameras can be individually toggled so that you only have chase + bumper + the secondary cameras you want the most. GT3-style loose chase camera is one of my favourite (and IMO vital) PCSX2 patches, now converted to actual native code, meaning it's built into the game like any other feature and even works on real hardware.

I've also managed to find where the bumper cam's pitching and blurry crash effect are processed which in turn means I've been able to disable them. Embedding a Twitter vid for that out of laziness:

Last edited:
Back