Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Begins 17 April

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,077 comments
Just like Nation's, I was anticipating Daytona being my best result of the season. Nation's went incredibly poorly, so I was hoping for even an ounce of luck this time...

Slot 1: I qualified 4th, over a tenth off the Porsche in P3 and a distant 0.4s off the front row, consisting of a Corvette in 2nd and a GT500 GT-R on pole. The Porsche got around the Corvette for 2nd on Lap 2 at West Horseshoe, then on the following lap, the Corvette outbraked himself and ran off at the same corner, promoting me to 3rd and now the highest-placed Corvette. The Porsche eventually took the lead from the GT-R and the GT-R was content to just bump draft the Porsche, while I was dragging an AMG along with me just on the outer edge of the slipstream of the 2 leaders. Both the leading Porsche and I pitted on Lap 10, and I jumped the Porsche in the pits due to requiring less fuel.

Once the pit cycle was complete, I was still in 3rd despite having jumped the Porsche because the 2 cars ahead - the polesitting GT500 GT-R and a GT500 Supra that qualified 8th - both skipped changing tires on their stops. The pace of the leader was too much to even consider a win, but 2nd place was still up for grabs. Unfortunately it took a few laps before I started to (very slowly) reel in 2nd place. At the same time, the Corvette that had qualified ahead of me had recovered from his mistake earlier and driven his way up to 5th and was close enough to bump-draft the AMG between us. That allowed the AMG to catch me on the front straight and he also gave me a bump, which caused me to enter T1 with far more speed than I'd ever done in the race. I braked earlier than normal, but it still wasn't early enough and I ran wide at T1, allowing the AMG through. The better top speed of the Corvette meant I easily got around the AMG before the bus stop again on the same lap. The situation repeated itself again with me receiving a bump-draft from the AMG going into T1, but this time I braked (almost) early enough and only slightly missed the apex and was able to keep the spot.

A lap or 2 later, the other Corvette hit the AMG at the International Horseshoe, giving the Corvette front damage and the AMG rear damage, and allowing the Porsche that led most of the first stint back through into 4th. From there I was able to keep the Porsche at bay by about 1s, while slowly trying to reel in the 2nd-place GT500 Supra. Unfortunately I didn't really make any major gains until the final lap when the Supra really had to ease up to avoid running out of fuel, and I ran out of time to fight for P2 and crossed the line 0.8s behind 2nd place, 10s behind the winner for 295 points. I really wanted over 300 points since this was definitely going to be my best performance of the season, and the last time this combo came up in an official season in 2022, I won for 318 points; but as tempting as it was to go again, I knew 295 was still to much to risk...

Much better than expected. 2nd GT1 Americas slot, door number 2 in the 650s, 168 point lobby.

Warming up pre race I had a breakthrough in the bus stop which helped me knock a good half second off my best, down to a 1:45.5. Nice clean quali gets me Q2, almost matching my best FP time, with the top 3 separated by 0.033 seconds.

Start, I’ve got a Corvette behind, I know he’ll run me down so I let him through T1 and tuck in. A little sloppy in the first hairpin and I drop to 4th behind a 911. But it gets good from there. We in the top 4 manage to split the pack and pull away start gaining almost a second a lap, so it’s just the 4 of us nose to tail. We start to spread out near the mid point but still way ahead.

I decide to put on lap 11, sitting in the draft in P4 I save enough fuel to gain some time back in the pit with short refueling. Everyone has pitted by end of 13 and were bunched back up again. 911 in the lead, but the Corvette and the Supra GT500 are too quick on the straights. On lap 15, the Corvette dives in the second hairpin running the 911 wide and the Supra hits him causing significant damage. I’m able to run him down and take 3rd in T1. He bumps me but no damage.

The 3 of us drop him and I tail the leaders but the 650s just can’t catch enough in the draft. Gets me a fastest lap though. I was definitely the quickest driver in the infield, and the draft got me straights 🙂.

I thought maybe I could get the Vette in 2nd, but I get a penalty (just barely, maybe by an inch…) at the bus stop on lap 19 trying to get a run on him and that’s it. So I just settle in and bring it home for a nice 3rd.

Really pleased with the tight race for almost the whole time. I hope for more like that in the future.

What a waste of time!
GT2
Race 1
I qualified P6. After the start i managed to avoid the the chaos, loose a position, gain a position ...
After lap 1 im in P4 behind an Audi. He's fast on the straights, but damn early on the breakes in the infield. I only just managed to avoid crashing into the back of him several times. So i went to pass him at the "Bus Stop" chicane. I'm later on the brakes, take the inside line and ... didn't knew what excactly happend. During the race i thought we made a side contact and he went off. Only in the replay did i see, that i was maybe some pixels to close to him, so that i just chrashed into his back.
After that i didn't accelerated like usual (hoping the Audi makes it quick back on track and i can let him pass) and get hit by another 911. I spun, he spun ... All caused by my missjudgement!
Funny sidenote: I did an offline test race to check tyre wear and fuel consumption. I'm pretty sure i choosed the right fuel factor. In that test race, fuel was not an issue. So i pitted in this race changed tyres and hit "don't refuel" without checking the fuel gage. U know what happend ... end of lap 12 i went out of fuel and had to stop a 2nd time. Didn't become last only because a spanish guy went completly out of fuel.

Race 2
Again P6 in qualy.
In the race i make it thru turn 1 and watch the guys in front of me fighting. Seems i was so fascinated by their fight - i forgot to brake for turn 2! After a little offroad trip i'm DFL. After that i can regain some positions but a romanian guy turns me over in the infield. race over. P12

Well there was no dirty driving in my race, and the Viper had pace again, unfortunately the driver of the Viper was a complete idiot.

GT1 slot one, two quali laps with silly mistakes and I lined up near the back. Good pace brought me forward but going side by side at the bus stop (stupid) put me on the grass and back to where I started.

Then after working hard overtaking a couple of cars I hit the inside tyres at T1. Engine blown, race over. Doh.

Only other notable moment was coming across the Porsche I banged doors with at Suzuka. They were slow at T1 and I had a run through T2, but on realising who it was I backed out. Suzuka was a racing incident but I felt bad, plus was worried about some delayed retribution! Shortly after they went and sat in the pits so possibly they banged doors with someone else this time.

I would have loved to go again but I didn't have the time, plus it's been a good season so far with some solid points finishes, anything extra is a bonus now. Onwards to Fuji...

Last edited:
Manufacturer standings as of Round 5, before any disqualifications:
1716456781871.png

Cutline (standings wise, top 9 appears to be locked in; Aston Martin gets back into the cutline after the DQ wave while Ferrari collapsed again and both Peugeot and Alfa tied):
Code:
 9 Lexus    +30
10 Aston M. +7
11 Peugeot  0
17 Genesis  Partner
------------------
12 Alfa R.  0
13 Honda    -1
14 Lambo    -1.5
15 Ferrari  -10.5

Last edited:
Manufacturer standings as of Round 5, before any disqualifications:
View attachment 1357523

Cutline (standings wise, top 9 appears to be locked in; Aston Martin gets back into the cutline after the DQ wave while Ferrari collapsed again and both Peugeot and Alfa tied):
Code:
 9 Lexus    +30
10 Aston M. +7
11 Peugeot  0
17 Genesis  Partner
------------------
12 Alfa R.  0
13 Honda    -1
14 Lambo    -1.5
15 Ferrari  -10.5
I've never liked the partner brands getting a free pass to the finals but Genesis getting in from as low as P17 in the standings is an embarrassing scenario in my eyes.

Latest Posts

Back