Major League Baseball: 2024 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 100 comments
Let me give a little assessment on my Astros. I invite you to do the same for your favorite team(s) if you like.

The 2024 Houston Astros are 22-28 on the 2024 MLB season, 3rd in the AL West. The Astros have a big road trip coming up with three at the Athletics and four at the Mariners. They will need to win or even sweep one or both series to help their AL West campaign. The Astros took advantage of a great 7-3 home stand recently to improve their record. The Astros can't keep squandering opportunities. They need better pitching and more consistent hitting. Kyle Tucker and Victor Caratini have been solid hitters. José Altuve hasn't been vintage, but good enough. Also, Justin Verlander still has plenty of charge in those arms. This team is in a slightly better place right now than where they were to start the season. However, more work still needs to be done.

Okay! If you want to assess your favorite team(s) or talk about some other team, feel free to do so.

After the Houston Astros swept the Oakland Athletics in four games last time they met, you know the A's didn't take it lightly. So the A's want some revenge while they are still playing in Oakland. The Astros want to continue their trudge towards improving their record and their AL West title winning hopes. The Astros are chasing down the Texas Rangers for 2nd in the AL West, and this upcoming series and the next one (4 at Seattle) will be critical to their success. But first things first- Astros at Athletics for 3. Let's get it!

* HOU Astros at OAK Athletics (3 games)

[GAME 1] The Oakland Athletics went up early 1-0 in the Bottom of the 1st. I didn't see what happened, but it was the Top of the 2nd when I first tuned in. Justin Verlander surpassed Greg Maddux for 10th all-time in strikeouts in this game with 3,372 strikeouts. The Astros' side of the scoreboard finally lit their side of the scoreboard thanks to three straight hits to start the Top of the 4th. Neither of the first two hits were pretty, but they worked, which is all that matters. The hit party continued with Alex Bregman knocking in a two-run RBI single. All of this... with no outs. Astros lead 3-1 now in the Top of the 4th. Jake Meyers bombed one that stayed just fair to deep left. Three-run jack and six unanswered by the Astros now, a 6-1 Astros lead. First pitch in the Bottom of the 5th went over an Astros' head, and the lead was cut to 6-2. Oakland scored again in the Bottom of the 7th on an RBI single. The Astros' lead was cut down to 6-3 at that point as Bryan Abreu mostly threw balls well left of the strike zone. Ryan Pressly and Josh Hader did a nice job closing out to preserve the 6-3 victory.

[GAME 2] The remaining two games of this series are day games. The Athletics scored first with an RBI double bringing home two A's for a 2-0 lead. Astros finally score in the Top of the 6th on a Sacrifice Fly. Oakland's lead is truncated to 2-1. A base hit by Oakland in the Bottom of the 6th led to OAK extending their lead to 3-1. That would be the final score as tomorrow afternoon will be the Rubber Game of this series.

[GAME 3] I was focused so much on racing today, so I didn't follow much at all of this game. Final score: 5-2, Astros. By the way, this was Ronel Blanco's first game back from his suspension. Methinks we take another series...

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (6-3; Houston)
GM2: (3-1; Oakland)
GM3: (5-2; Houston)

RESULT: HOU wins series 2-1

--- UPCOMING ---
NEXT: at SEA Mariners (4 games, starting Monday)

The 2024 Houston Astros are now 24-29 on the season, still 3rd in the AL West.

The Houston Astros can make a big statement in the AL West if they can win their next series. We're in Seattle to take on the AL West-leading and (currently 28-26) Seattle Mariners. A four-game set is on tap. The Astros will need to win 3 out of 4 or even sweep the Mariners to help their ascent up the AL West. If the Astros somehow sweep the Mariners, both Houston and Seattle will have 28 wins on the season.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and today's/tonight's winners! If your team split or lost a series, hope the next series goes better for you.

Angel Hernandez is retiring. About flippin time. The fact that this is big news tells you something, umpires should not be famous.

Angel Hernandez is retiring. About flippin time. The fact that this is big news tells you something, umpires should not be famous.
But I'm going to miss the Jomboy lipreading videos of him getting ripped apart by various managers for horrific calls. :(:lol:

Apparently the rumor mill is swirling that Pete Alonso (who got injured today after being hit by a pitch on his finger) will refuse to entertain an offer from the New York Mets if they trade him at the deadline.

Apparently the rumor mill is swirling that Pete Alonso (who got injured today after being hit by a pitch on his finger) will refuse to entertain an offer from the New York Mets if they trade him at the deadline.
Maybe he should've taken the reported $160 million they offered him last year. Based on recent free agency, don't think many clubs will go that high for a righty 1B masher who'll be the wrong side of 30 for the whole contract.

Sleepless in Seattle. Well, the Houston Astros better not sleep on the opportunity to keep their trudge up the American League West standings. A big way to make a statement and help their cause is to take this upcoming series against the AL West-leading Mariners. A sweep would tie both teams at 28 wins apiece. Even a series win will help the Astros' cause. So what did the Astros do in the Emerald City? Well let me tell you in this summary.

* HOU Astros at SEA Mariners (4 games)

[GAME 1] When I first saw this game, it was a 3-2 lead by Seattle in the Bottom of the 5th. The Astros' hopes of possibly tying Seattle in total number of wins fell flat with this 3-2 loss to start this series. This loss even was part of José Abreu returning to the lineup from Minor League demotion.

[GAME 2] Getting scored on in the 1st inning was a problem with the Astros, and it reared its ugly head as timely hitting led to a 1-0 lead early in the Bottom of the 1st. Hunter Brown getting rocked again in the early innings. BOOM! A "Breggy Bomb" was hit in the Top of the 4th to put the Astros up 2-1 on a two-run jack. The Astros saw their lead become a 2-2 tie in the Bottom of the 8th on a one-out RBI double by Seattle. It was looking like another Ryan Pressly choke job. It WAS A choke eventually after missing a play at home followed by an error at 1st base. Mariners lead 4-2, leaving the Astros to try to force Bottom of the 9th. Former Astro, Ryne Stanek, closed out this game for the Mariners, doing what Ryan Pressly couldn't- close a game. The final: 4-2, Seattle.

[GAME 3] I spent most of Wednesday night cooking, so I saw very little of the game. It was 1-1 in the Bottom of the 9th when I first watched. Thankfully, the Astros were able to force extra innings. A sacrifice fly led to the walk-off for Seattle with the bases loaded. Seattle wins 2-1 in 10 innings on a walk-off sacrifice fly.

[GAME 4] The Houston Astros struck first on a hanging low "Breggy Bomb" to left in the Top of the 4th. This two-run jack put the Astros not only put them up 2-0, but also the first time they scored runs off of Mariners' pitcher Logan Gilbert this season. I turned away as the Top of the 5th happened; and next thing I know it, Victor Caratini launches a solo bomb to right. So 3-0 Astros now as they try to prevent getting swept in Seattle. The Astros knocked in an RBI in the Top of the 6th to go ahead 4-0. That was the final score as they snapped their 5-game losing streak to Seattle.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (3-2; Seattle)
GM2: (4-2; Seattle)
GM3: (2-1, 10 innings; Seattle)
GM4: (4-0; Houston)

RESULT: SEA wins series 3-1

--- UPCOMING ---
NEXT: vs. MIN Twins (3 games, starting Friday)

The 2024 Houston Astros are now 25-32 on the season, still 3rd in the AL West.

Time to return home for the Astros. And TWIIIIINS! Awaiting us back in Houston are the Minnesota Twins. Three games coming up against the mid-pack AL Central Twins are next on the schedule after a series win in Oakland followed by a 🤬 the bed performance at the Seattle Mariners.

Apparently, the Houston Astros are not happy with how Joe Espada is handling the team. Astros fans are even blaming management for doing such a poor job. This is becoming a forgettable season for Houston. Ever since José Abreu came back and against a very tough opponent, the Astros have been on the skids. They feel like they're playing more damage control than trying to make the ALCS. Late May is too early to look ahead to Texans football even while the Astros are having their internal issues. Still time to sort things out, but this is a brutal season for the Astros so far.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and today's/tonight's winners! If your team split or lost a series, hope the next series goes better for you. Well, what happened to your team(s) lately?

Mid-pack Houston Astros meet the mid-pack Minnesota Twins. Houston was able to take the 3-game series at the Oakland Athletics, but they prevented getting swept at the Seattle Mariners losing that series 3-1. The Astros return home to host the Minnesota Twins. All the Astros can do right now is handle their own business and let the AL West (and even the AL in general) play itself out. The Astros' efforts to try to go above .500 continues with this upcoming series. Here's my summary.

* MIN Twins at HOU Astros (3 games)

[GAME 1] When I glanced on X/Twitter, I saw the Twins were up 2-0 in the Top of the 3rd. Then when I tuned into the game, Minnesota went up 5-1 on a sacrifice fly in the Top of the 6th. Alex Speas made his pitching debut for the Astros, and the Twins welcomed him with a solo homer to right-central. I stopped watching the game at that point as Minnesota went up 6-1. That was the final score- 6-1, Twins.

[GAME 2] To start the month of June, how about a two-run homer by Yordan Alvarez? Air Yordan's bomb to right put the Astros up 2-0 in the Bottom of the 1st. That ball is gone by... José Abreu? Yep. It's 3-0 Astros after José Abreu hits a thunderbolt to right-center. It is his first jack this season. Kyle Tucker bangs one to right for a 4-0 Astros lead in the Bottom of the 3rd. Yordan Alvarez struck again with his second dinger of the game. It was 5-0, Astros in the Bottom of the 5th. Minnesota averted the no-hitter and the shutout with an RBI in the Top of the 7th. 5-1 was now what the Astros led by. Minnesota would add another RBI in the Top of the 8th to bring it to a 5-2 Astros advantage. The Astros ended up taking this one 5-2. I took a brief nap and didn't see rest of the game after 5-1. The Rubber Game is tomorrow afternoon.

[GAME 3] The Rubber Game of this series was not on TV. Instead, it was on Roku TV. I did not see this game at all. Final score: 4-3, Twins.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (6-1; Minnesota)
GM2: (5-2; Houston)
GM3: (4-3; Minnesota)

RESULT: MIN wins series 2-1

--- UPCOMING ---
NEXT: vs. STL Cardinals (3 games, starting Monday)

The 2024 Houston Astros are now 26-34 on the season, still 3rd in the AL West.

This past series was between two mid-pack teams in two different AL Divisions. This next series is a mid-pack teams in two different divisions in two different leagues. The Astros of the AL West will meet one of their former NL Central foes when the St. Louis Cardinals visit Houston for a three-game set. St. Louis currently has the same amount of wins as Pittsburgh (27), but they have two fewer losses (29 losses for STL, 31 losses for PIT). How will the Astros handle the Cardinals? Find out in my next summary!

Congratulations to all recent series winners and today's/tonight's winners! If your team split or lost a series, hope the next series goes better for you. Well, what happened to your team(s) lately?

Let's update the standings. These are standings as of 6:56 PM Eastern Time on June 3, 2024:

--- American League Standings (as of: June 3, 2024) ---
AL EAST: New York Yankees (42-19), BAL (37-20), BOS, (30-30), TB (29-31), TOR (28-30)
AL CENTRAL: Cleveland (39-20), KC (36-25), MIN (33-26), DET (29-30), CHW (15-45)
AL WEST: Seattle (34-27), TEX (29-30), HOU (26-34), OAK (24-37), LAA (21-38)
CURRENT AL WILD CARD: Baltimore (37-20), Kansas City (36-25)

--- National League Standings (as of: June 3, 2024) ---
NL EAST: Philadelphia (41-19), ATL (33-24), WAS (27-31), NYM (24-35), MIA (21-39)
NL CENTRAL: Milwaukee (36-23), STL (28-29), CHC (29-31), PIT (27-32), CIN (26-33)
NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers (38-23), SD (32-30), SF (29-31), ARI (27-32), COL (21-37)
CURRENT NL WILD CARD: Atlanta (33-24), San Diego (32-30)

Time to head into the official start of Summer. A long season still remains. Keep on playing hard!

It's been a while since the Yankees were really the Yankees. There have been periods over the last decade when they've had very good teams, but not this kind of sustained bludgening of the opposition. Just bombs flying everywhere from Judge and Soto, and suffocating starting pitching. I can feel the hatred from the rest of the league - it feels good!

Don't get to see as much of the National League as I'd like, there's just not enough time, but happy that the Brewers and Phillies are doing very well. Bryce Harper is probably my favourite non-Yankee, the one that got away.

Mid-pack Houston Astros meet the mid-pack St. Louis Cardinals. This Interleague match is an NL Central family reunion for Houston in Houston against the 12-time Champion St. Louis Cardinals. Let's see what happens when these two former NL Central foes match wits in a game of baseball.

* STL Cardinals at HOU Astros (3 games)

[GAME 1] Mondays at home mean Houston dons the "Space City" City Connect uniforms. When I first checked in, it was a 7-4 lead for the Houston Astros in the bottom of the 8th. That score would hold as the Astros picked up the win. Kyle Tucker had to leave the game after fouling off a pitch that hit one of his feet.

[GAME 2] St. Louis started the scoring last night, and they started tonight with a solo jack to left-center to go up 1-0 in the Top of the 1st. A couple of groundball outs at 1st base led to the Astros taking a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the 1st. Alex Bregman got plunked on one of his hands, and then pitcher Spencer Arrighetti got his back left leg hit. Fast-forward to the Bottom of the 5th, and the Astros lead 7-2. There was a delay for whatever reason before starting the Top of the 6th Masyn Winn touched the sky for St. Louis with a two-run jack to left. Cardinals now trail the Astros 7-4 on Winn's thunderbolt. It's currently the same score that last night's game ended. A little fan interference on a solo shot by St. Louis led to a home run. The Astros are still ahead, but now by 7-5. Victor Caratini hit a ball deep enough to bring home an Astro on a sacrifice fly in the Bottom of the 7th. Astros now lead 8-6. José Altuve recorded his 600th multi-hit game in his career. Ryan Pressly closed solidly for a change to preserve the 8-5 victory.

[GAME 3] I did not see this game at all. The final score- 4-2, Cardinals. So the Astros missed out on sweeping the Cardinals.

--- REVIEW ---
GM1: (7-4; Houston)
GM2: (8-5; Houston)
GM3: (4-2; St. Louis)

RESULT: HOU wins series 2-1

--- UPCOMING ---
NEXT: at LAA Angels (3 games, starting Friday)

The 2024 Houston Astros are now 28-39 on the season, still 3rd in the AL West. A series sweep would have tied the Astros with the Rangers for 2nd in the AL West in wins.

A six-game road trip is coming up for Houston. The Astros will be in Anaheim to meet the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim for three, and then we meet the San Francisco Giants at my favorite ballpark- Oracle Park for three. The Angels are still last place in the AL West. However, the Angels still managed to take down the Astros in Houston earlier this season. The Astros now have to think revenge at the Angels. A series win could vault the Astros ahead of the Rangers in the AL West standings depending on how Texas does in their next series.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and today's/tonight's winners! If your team split or lost a series recently, hope the next series goes better for you.

[OMISSSION] I forgot to mention both José Urquidy and Christian Javier both will have Tommy John surgery, effectively ending their 2024 seasons. Two right-hand pitchers down for my Astros. This already turbulent season just got even more so now.

Last edited:
Back